Legal Services. The Smart Way.

Fixed price from the comfort of your own home.

Stacks Image 7

Marriage Visitor Visas

Marriage Visitor Visas are for those non-British nationals without leave in the UK to travel to their partner living in the UK for a limited amount of time to get married. You do not need a Marriage Visitor Visa if you want to convert your civil partnership into a marriage.

You must apply for a Marriage Visitor visa if:
- you want to get married or register a civil partnership in the UK
- you want to give notice of a marriage or civil partnership in UK
- you’re not planning to stay or settle in the UK after your marriage or civil partnership

Who can apply for a Marriage visa?
In order to get a marriage visa, you have to prove that:
- you are 18 or over
- you are free to give notice of marriage, to marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK within 6 months of your arrival
- you are in a genuine relationship
- you are visiting the UK for less than 6 months
- you are leaving the UK at the end of your visit
- you are able to support yourself without working or help from public funds, or that you can be supported and housed by relatives or friends
- you are able to meet the cost of the return or onward journey

How long can I stay in the UK on a Marriage visa?
You can use this visa to visit the UK for up to 6 months.

How do I apply?
You need to apply online for a Marriage visa (link
You will need to apply from outside the UK, before you travel here.

How long does it take to get a visa?
The earliest you can apply is 3 months before you travel.

You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks when you apply from outside the UK.

What can I do whilst I am in the UK on a Marriage Visa?
On a Marriage visa, you’re allowed to:
- marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK within 6 months of your arrival (you must use a venue licensed for this purpose)
- pass through the UK in transit (on your way to another country)
- study for up to 30 days, as long as it’s not the main reason for your visit

You are not allowed to:
- access public funds
- bring in family members (‘dependants’) - they must apply separately
- live in the UK for extended periods through frequent visits
- extend your visa or switch to another visa
- work, except for permitted activities related to your work or business overseas, such as attending meetings
- study for more than 30 days - studying cannot be the main reason for your visit

Which documents will I need to apply?
You will need to supply:
- a current passport or other valid travel identification
- proof that you can support yourself during your trip, for example bank statements or payslips for the last 6 months
- proof of your future plans for the relationship, for example documents to show where you’ll live
details of where you intend to stay and your travel plans - you should not pay for accommodation or travel until you get your visa

You can also supply the following to support your application:
- details of the marriage or civil partnership and proof that you’ve paid money for some of its costs
- proof that you’re planning to get married in the UK, for example a booking confirmation or emails between you and the venue.

Is there a cost?
Yes. It costs £95 to apply for a marriage visa.

Our indefinite leave to remain applications have been dealt with by Seraphus with great professionalism and efficiency, we would gladly recommend your firm.


Contact us

If you have any questions about our services or you would like to instruct us to represent you with your application or appeal please get in contact with us now.

We use cookies on this site to improve your experience. We only use anonymous cookies so we'll assume you are OK with this. Read our 'Extras' section for more details.